Tuesday, October 28, 2008

To Be Well Rounded

As I was scanning through the internet for pictures to put up as my profile picture I ran into several funny cartoons. One such cartoon had several students in a classroom with tubes going into their brains. These tubes contained writing, math, and reading. There was one girl trying to jump out of the window towards a sign that said fine arts. The moral of this cartoon was that with the no child left behind plan leaves out many other fields that may be interesting and even important for students. It is the belief of many including myself that a well-rounded education including the fine arts is the best education. Sadly, the present no child left behind plan only measures students ability in reading and math. The goal of the plan is for all students to be proficient in reading and math by the year 2014. As I have already mentioned, this is an unatainable goal and legislators should recognize this and rework the plan completly.
When or if the new plan is re-worked fields like the fine arts shoule be addressed. Since this program was inacted classes in the fine arts category have received less funding. Some programs at some public schools have been cut because of this. From my personal point of view as a trombone player, I found band to play a very important part in my life. There is a definite correlation between my studies and my trombone playing. I truely believe that when someone paints, acts, plays an instrument, ect., they are participating in deep thinking and stimulating their brain intellectually. This aside about my personal experience with the fine arts further shows the need for them in the educating of our young people. Learning is not always just about math and reading. Learning is about being well rounded, participating in many different activities that challenge ones brain and expands ones thinking. Most educators would agree and this is just one more thing to think about in the formulation of a new education plan.

2 comments:

Tommy said...

Cam,

I agree that the fine arts have been neglected, and the curriculum should be rebalanced to include that field, but how can the fine arts improve thinking? Also, why were the fine arts abandoned in education reform? By the way, thanks for the recommendation!

Tommy

Britney said...

Cam,
I definitley agree that a well-rounded education is the most rewarding to citizens, and No Child Left Behind seems to "leave this behind" if you will. Sometimes those who are discouraged in a normal classroom setting and discover talents in arts and sports, are encouraged positively and gain confidence in the classroom too. There are also student who are faced with some disabilities, such as autism, that may not have the attention span to focus in a classroom setting and do well on standarrdized tests, but have genius level skills in other aspects. I think the "plan" forgets that every human in the U.S. is an individual, with individual learning abilities.